Tuesday, February 3, 2009

As I look forward to becoming a teacher, I wonder how much technology will really be used in the classroom. Is it important for me to learn this stuff? Will the students enjoy using technology in the classroom?

I visited David Warlick's blog site, and he has some interesting blogs about the state of education at this time. Something he said made me really think. He said, "There’s nothing special about blogging or working with simulations to them. Participating in large, ongoing, and nearly always available conversations, and playing with simulations is a part of their childhood. It’s part of their culture."

This is a very good point. What I'm struggling with learning, is second nature to our students. I can foresee using blogs in combination with projects-based units, such as social studies or history. History is of the past, but social studies can be the present. We could create blogs with students from other states and/or countries, and share experiences of our locations or our cultures. This can be a very exciting project for the students as well as the teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Terri ! i think you are absolutely right about technology and students. I'm not entirely a big fan of using a whole lot of technology for my students, only in some areas like you said history because it is a great way for students to blog with other students across the world to learn more on cultures, and thier societys as well.

    ReplyDelete